The purpose of this policy is to ensure a safe, welcoming, and respectful atmosphere for members, volunteers, and library staff. These policies are applicable to all library users and are enforceable by all library staff and volunteers.
The following behaviors and items are expressly prohibited:
· Leaving children unsupervised or uncontrolled.
· Consuming food or drinks.
· Stealing, damaging, altering or attempting to alter, any property belonging to the Library or Library patrons.
· Viewing websites that are inappropriate.
· Excessive noise, including loud talking, loud audio equipment, and use of profanity.
· Use of controlled substances, tobacco products or alcoholic beverages.
· Animals, except assistance dogs or animals which are part of a Library sponsored activity.
· Unattended bags or belongings; the Library is not responsible for stolen or lost property.
· Threats, harassment, or intimidation of another person, including following a person, staring, threatening, taunting or inflicting physical or verbal abuse.
· Soliciting or panhandling.
· Utilizing Library facilities for non-approved Library purposes.
· Loitering in the Children’s Area by an adult unaccompanied by a minor.
The library reserves the right to respond to any and all conduct not expressly set forth herein but which is deemed by library staff to unreasonably interfere with the use of the library by other customers or interfere with the performance of their duties by library employees.
Any library user who violates this Code of Conduct may be subject to one or all of the following:
· Reminder behavior is not appropriate.
· Warning that inappropriate behavior must be stopped immediately.
· Direction to take all personal belongings and leave the premises immediately.
· Intervention by law enforcement.
· Barred from any subsequent use of the library for a length of time to be determined by the Library Board of Trustees.
Adopted by the Swarthmore Public Library Board of Trustees April 14, 2006
Revised November 17, 2015